The practice of hand therapy dates back to World War II when surgeons were trained to treat soldiers with upper quarter injuries and began working with therapists in military hospitals. Since then, the practice has evolved to meet the needs of the intricate anatomy of the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder.
What is a Certified Hand Therapist (CHT)?
A CHT is an occupational or physical therapist who has advanced training in the evaluation and treatment of the upper extremity. The therapist is required to have at least 3 years of experience, including 4,000 hours of direct practice in hand therapy, and pass a rigorous certification exam.
Common Diagnoses Treated by CHTs
A hand therapist provides care for patients with a diversity of upper extremity disorders and injuries, such as:
- Arthritic conditions
- Carpal and cubital tunnel
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- DeQuervain’s Syndrome
- Fractures and crush injuries
- Ligament injury, sprains, strains
- Mallet finger
- Management of nerve compression injuries
- Pre- and post-surgical rehabilitation
- Shoulder injuries
- Sports injuries to the upper extremity
- Tendon and nerve repairs as a cut finger, cumulative trauma or a repetitive use injury
- Trigger finger
Additional Hand Therapy Services
- Custom splints and orthotics
- Ergonomic assessments
- Kinesio taping
- Manual therapy
- Patient education
- Pain neuroscience education
- Therapeutic exercises
Why Should You Choose a Certified Hand Therapist?
A Certified Hand Therapist has advanced skills and detailed knowledge of the upper extremities. With their guidance, you can improve your functional abilities. A hand therapy specialist provides:
- Immediate and comprehensive care
- Functional outcomes that focus on a return to work, life or sport
- Accurate assessments and effective treatment that can reduce treatment time, speed up recovery and lower medical costs
- A continuum of care eliminating the need for multiple medical providers and streamlining your care
- Recovery from your work-related, automobile, sports-related, day to day injuries or disease
At ARC Physical Therapy+, we are committed to being a leader in the field of hand therapy. Through our multifaceted Certified Hand Therapy Fellowship program, we train our occupational therapists in critical decision making and the skills they need to pass the CHT certification exam.
Contact Us to Learn More
If you would like to learn more about our Certified Hand Therapy offerings, we welcome you to call us at 844-755-4272.